Sunday, March 24, 2013

My Own Unbecoming Thanks to Mara Dyer

It has not even been ten minutes since I finished volume 2 of the Mara Dyer series and I am terribly afraid that if I don't have volume three in my hands very soon, I might not make it. On a friend recommendation (the same friend who recommended Daughter of Smoke and Bone...what an amazing friend she is!) I picked up The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin and never put it down. I read through the enter weekend, ignoring those tests that needed to be corrected, and finished it feeling absolutely enthralled. The suspense and mystery keep you on the edge of your seat. And let's not forget about the one thing that sets my heart racing...

Noah Shaw....Noah Shaw, Noah Shaw, Noah Shaw. What can I say? The moment his English accent graced the page, I was a goner. Noah is the typical bad boy with a soft heart that turns YA readers into mushy fanatics. From his sarcastic attitude, to his mischievous smirk, Noah is the incarnation of desire. And I still haven't figured out if I am ashamed to say that I had to set the book down a few times to calm my racing heart. The sexual tension is there, but that's not all folks! Noah cares. He is Mara's knight in shining armor. He has a soft spot for her in that bad boy image that he's concocted (which gives us readers a soft spot for him). As much as I love the whole girl saves herself mentality, there is nothing like knowing someone is there for you to save you whenever you need it. That female instinct to find a strong man to save her is still there ladies, it's okay to admit it. I would be all too willing to let Noah save me if he were given the chance. Goodness gracious I am getting flustered just thinking about it. I need to move on.

Let's talk about the creeper factor. These books are creepy. I wouldn't recommend reading with the lights off....Well that might make reading impossible. Let me amend that and say I recommend reading with all the lights on and at least two other people with you. (As I am writing this, the lights are out and my dog is staring into the shadows, growling. He has terrible timing when it comes to these kinds of things and is totally freaking me out) There is a constant feeling that Mara needs to look over her shoulder and have a video camera ready to have proof of occurrences for later. Then there is the ultimate question...is Mara really hallucinating everything? Is any of this even real? It's quite possible. I wouldn't put it past Michelle Hodkin. She is a mastermind of the "WTF" factor. I feel like I am losing my skills because, yet again, I have found a series that has thrown me curveballs I never would have seen coming. The end of book two - are you serious? What the heck is going on anymore???

I am at a total loss for words. I think a giant question mark (followed by a <3 for good measure) might sum up how I feel about these books because Michelle Hodkin is an absolute genius and wouldn't let me get off my couch for a whole weekend. I researched for two hours and drove for another just to get the sequel by the end of the day because I just couldn't wait until Tuesday for it to be shipped to my house. My heart has flat out skipped town in protest to the roller coaster I have put it through. Gah! I think I need to reread right this very moment. I'm a gushing teenager all over again.


Now that I've gone off, let's recap.
Descriptions: 

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Mara Dyer has woken up in a hospital bed with no recollection of how she got there or the events leading up to her admittance. She is told that her best friend, boyfriend, and boyfriend's sister were killed in an accident that she was present for. After moving to Florida to escape the tragedy, experiencing hallucinations, and losing bits of time, Mara finds herself unable to determine what is real and what isn't. She meets a mysterious boy who just might help her discover what is going on...

The Evolution of Mara Dyer
Mara still doesn't know what is happening and Noah is still at a loss for how to help her. Is Jude alive? How did he survive? Why is he torturing her? Will anyone ever believe her? What is real?

So, what are you waiting for?! Go get your copy! You can't have mine, I'm reading it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment